Sunday, December 21, 2008
Sunday, November 2, 2008
You can get to my shop at: www.jaymalew.etsy.com. I don't have a lot listed yet, but I've been working hard! And there's lots more to come! I've got oodles of ideas mulling in my mind...I'm gonna have so much fun with this! So check it out now just to see what I'm talking about...and then check back again and again and buy Christmas presents and stuff :) I can custom make anything, so if you see something you like but want it just a little different...colors or paper or embellishments or occasion...just let me know!
Monday, October 20, 2008
Cut a background paper 8" x 6". Fold in half both ways.
Fold the two corners down, like so.
Now you have your two compartments for the gift card and a little note :) Use some adhesive to keep the edges together (but be sure you can still fit the gift card and note inside).
Embellish as desired.
Background paper, cardstock in coordinating color, glue dots (or other adhesive), tape, scalloped scissors, 5/8" circle punch, 1" circle punch, bitty rhinestones, grosgrain ribbon, focal stamp of your choice, coordinating stamp pads, hole punch, paper cutter, and scoring tool.
If you are missing any of these tools, many of them can be improvised!
Cut a piece of cardstock 4 1/2" x 4 1/2" and score 1" in from every edge. Then turn the cardstock so the point is down and score all the corners...
Crease your box on the 1inch score lines and bring the corner scores in...
Tape the flaps inside and outside (don't worry about tape showing, you'll cover it up).
Cut a piece of background paper 6" x 11" (or taller than 6" if you want a taller bag). Add glue dots along the bottom of the background paper and wrap it around the bottom edge of the box. I like to start my background paper in the middle of one of the sides of the box so the seam will be at the back of the bag when I'm finished.
If there use glue dots or another adhesive to hold the seam together. If the seam is uneven at the top of the bag just trim it at an angle to even it out.
Now you need a strip of cardstock 11" x 1" with one edge cut with scalloped scissors. (You can go wider than 1" if you'd like). I like to cut it 2" and then cut it in half lengthwise with my scalloped scissors, leaving me with two 1" strips. Stamp the strip to give it some interest if you'd like, then wrap it around the box like you did the other paper.
Stamp your focal image and embellish as desired.
Use glue dots to secure the 1" circles at the top. You don't need them, but it adds a nice curve to an otherwise straight-across top of the bag. Punch a hole in the top of each circle and threat your ribbon through. Viola! You have a cute gift bag that's a gift in itself!
The cost is now $25 and should take about 2-3 hours. It may take longer because you know how us girls like to chat! ;-)
Let me know if you're interested in attending...and if you'd like to host one and when!
Saturday, October 11, 2008
Friday, October 10, 2008
Paper: Magic Moments
Stamp Set: Adorable
Thursday, October 2, 2008
Sunday, September 21, 2008
Nena is a military wife whose husband is in Iraq. In March, she originally wanted to send his unit a box of cards for them to be able to send home to their loved ones. Their selections are verrryyy limited and expensive over there. She posted a message on the Bulletin Board to see if anyone had cards they wanted to contribute. Her response was overwhelming, so she is continuing to take on this project, which has been a TON of work for her, so she's had to give some guidelines to follow (below). Cards are going to all branches of service and several overseas locations, not just Iraq.
HERE'S WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP:
I would like to extend this opportunity to you ladies. If you would like to contribute cards you've made, or make new cards, please contact me at email@example.com. I'm planning to send a package to Nena by NO LATER THAN October 6 so she has enough time to get Thanksgiving and Christmas cards overseas. She needs them by Oct. 15 in order to get them there in time. I will be dedicating NEXT SATURDAY, Sept. 27 to making cards, so if you'd like to come to my house and make cards (or scrapbook or any other crafting you'd like to do), then let me know. If you can't make it on Saturday, you can still make some cards on your own and give them to me!
Please get your contributions to me NO LATER THAN Oct. 6. I will mail them to Nena on Oct. 7. If you know of a service member who would like to receive a box of cards, let me know, and I will let Nena know. Please see the Guidelines below…
Misc. Notes: Approximately 130 cards fit in each box. So just think, in one box of cards alone.....you will have made over 130 people smile! It costs $10-12 in postage to send a box. Plastic sleeves cost Nena approx. 4 cents each. She covers each card in a plastic sleeve because of the dust and sand over there. Monetary donations are accepted, but only as an act of goodwill. Nena is not asking for money. See guidelines below.
Here is a message from Nena on the Bulletin Boards…
I truly appreciate all the support that you all have given to this wonderful project. I wish I could share more pics of the cards being utilized that have been sent. However, not everyone is able to take and send pics. I will keep you posted as much as I can though. I did receive a message a couple of days ago regarding a package that was received. The box was devoured in just two days!!! LOL They have also sent a request of another box. Many thanks were passed on....and now I am passing this on to you. Without ALL OF YOU, this project would be .....well....it just wouldn't be.
Thank you ALL for your support!!!
1. All cards must be handmade. However, this does NOT mean that it has to be made with all CTMH products. I am doing this because the commercial cards tend to sit in the boxes and are not being selected like the handmade cards. Plus, this project is represented by a "craft", and I believe it should continue as such.
2. All cards must be the standard size of 4.25" x 5.5". This makes it more cost efficient to cover with plastic sleeves, and easier to organize and ship.
3. All card sentiments are needed and accepted. However, the card sentiments that are in great demand are: I Miss You and I love You. Of course...I Miss You being a HUGE demand.
4. All cards must come with envelopes that fit the card. You don't have to have them all put together, just make sure there is enough in the box to cover the cards you send. I know everyone would prefer to send funds to cover the cost of envelopes, but time wise it really works out better this way.
5. When sending cards from swaps that have recipes on back, please remove the card front and adhere it to a fresh piece of folded cardstock. (This is something only CTMH Consultants need to worry about.)
6. If the cards have names on the back; I generally put a white blank address label over it then stamp it with one of our stamps from the "made by me" stamp set. You can either do this yourself before sending, or I will do it here. However, if it is "your personal name" and you would like for it to stay uncovered, please just send a note with your package stating so, so I don't cover them up.
7. In some cases cards are not available to send, but someone still wants to contribute. Therefore, miscellaneous donation items are also accepted (i.e.; envelopes, blank address labels, clear sleeves, shipping boxes.)
8. Any monetary donations are to be sent only as an act of goodwill. This just simply states that I am not asking anyone to send any money. This project was started from the heart and will continue from the heart. (smile)
From Nena: I know it may sound a bit picky, but it's what will need to be done in order for me to keep this project going myself. I will be covering the cost of the plastic sleeves and the shipping. If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know. Thank you so much for accepting to the new guidelines. It really makes getting the boxes together and to the post office much easier and faster. Good job ladies!!! Keep 'em comin'!!!
Sunday, September 14, 2008
The SOM is 25% off if you spend $25 or more in Close to My Heart products, or 50% off with $50 purchase, 75%/$75, or free with a purchase of $100 or more. You can get the Friendship Alphabet (large and small sets) for FREE if you spend $125+ or for $15 if you spend $75+. (See below.)
Sunday, September 7, 2008
• When you spend $125, you get the set FREE
• When you spend $75, you can purchase the set for $15
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Monday, August 11, 2008
In this second example, I simply rolled down the corner of the card. Again, this gives it texture and a fun surprise element...yet it's SO easy! To give the corner some color and tie it into the rest of the card I glued a small piece of the juniper green cardstock...another scrap! To give the card some more texture I rubbed a cocoa stamp pad on the edges, which gave it a vintage look that goes great with this paper!
Stamp set: Inspriation
Paper: Perfect Day