Wednesday, January 13, 2010

One Card, FOUR Challenges!

I've gotta say, I'm pretty proud of myself this week. And it's only Tuesday! Usually I'm a one-challenge-at-a-time girl, but this week I completed FOUR different challenges with ONE card!

This card qualifies for: Mojo Monday (Sketch by Julee Tilman), Crazy 4 Challenges (birthday), Practical Scrappers (use some bling), and Jeanette's Color Me Monday (Cocoa, Crystal Blue, Garden Green, Hollyhock). My design was inspired by Wanda Cullen's Mojo Monday card. Enjoy!
Don't ask how I expect to fit this in an envelope :)

To match Jeannette's color challenge I used several different Close to my Heart paper packs: Notebook for some Crystal Blue, Boom-di-Ada (one of my favorites!) for Hollyhock, and Twitterpated for a different pattern of Crystal Blue. I used cardstock for Cocoa and Garden Green. I stamped the Cocoa flower with the dots from the Spot-On Backgrounds stamp set in Cocoa ink to add some tone-on-tone interest. Other stamp sets used: Happy Birthday and With Love (another favorite of mine--goes perfectly with the Boom-di-Ada paper).

To make the crumpled flower: I simply punched about 8-10 two-inch scalloped circle "flowers." Then I used my piercing tool to make a hole through the center of all of them and attached a brad to hold them together. Starting with the top flower, crumple it in toward the center, trying to keep the top showing, which has the color/pattern you chose. Continue with each flower beneath, and eventually you have a pretty and distressed-looking 3D flower! The beauty of using CTMH paper for this is that it's two-sided, so the small amount of the underside of the flower you do see complements your colors! I've seen this technique used with old maps and vintage paper, which also looks great and adds to the distressed look!

7 comments:

Meli la gringa said...

Oh so pretty!

Sherri said...

That flower is gorgeous!

Erica said...

very pretty!

Christine said...

Beautiful card and flower! Thanks for playing along at Practical Scrappers!

Tanya Rudd said...

Wonderful card. Thank you for playing with us at Practical Scrappers.
Hugs
Tanya

angiejean said...

Love this!! One of these days I'm going to make a flower like that. I love it! Glad you posted on Practical Scrappers!

Jessica said...

WOW! This card is simply stunning!!! So glad you played at Practical Scrappers - p.s. - they are searching for new DT members. You should definitely try out - just follow the blog (if you aren't already) and send three of your best layouts to practicalscrappers@gmail.com by January 20th. Good luck!