Monday, May 10, 2010

Technique: Paper Piecing

The challenge this week at Heart 2 Heart Challenges is to choose any technique to share with you. One of my favorite techniques to do lately is paper piecing. First I cut a piece of Goldrush cardstock the size of the card to frame it. I saw a card Lisa Stenz made and loved the pop the frame gave to her card. And I used the cloud paper from the brand-new Splendor paper pack (my very favorite) as the background. Then I began paper piecing...I cut out some clouds, sponged the edges in Heavenly Blue ink, and attached on top of the clouds in the background paper w/ foam squares. I cut the hills freehand with scissors and sponged the tops so they'd pop against each other. I got that idea from one of Mandy's cards.

The trees are from the Treetops stamp set. The 3 trees on the right were stamped in both Topiary and chocolate ink. Then I cut the tops out of Topiary and adhered with foam squares, and the trunks out of chocolate, sponged the edges for extra dimension, and pieced together. The tree on the left was stamped in chocolate onto the green Splendor paper and in chocolate again on white paper. I cut the top out of the Splendor paper and the stump out of the white paper.

TIP: Use a glue pen to adhere small pieces, like the trunks.

Materials (all CTMH):
Treetops stamp set; Splendor Level 2 paper pack; Clear sparkles; Heavenly blue, Topiary, Chocolate stamp pads; Prisma glitter; Micro-tip scissors (you need these!); Sponge daubers; Glue pen

4 comments:

Carol Labuski said...

this is too cute, Jayma! love the pop of the trees!

TraceyJean said...

I've been eyeing this stamp set for a while. You just helped me decide. Great job on this card.

Mary said...

Love paper piecing - one of my favorites! This card is super cute and I love the added sparkles -

Stephanie said...

I love this happy little card, Jayma! It reminds me of the ones I see in the Paper Crafts magazine. You should send it in! I wish I could buy a whole pack of that cloud paper because I have so many ideas for it! Too bad they don't offer that.