Monday, June 21, 2010

A Ladybug from Punches

I had this card in my head for days before trying to actually create it with paper. Heart 2 Heart's challenge for this week is to use the colors Tulip, Black, and Buttercup...so I immediately thought "ladybug!" I was afraid it wouldn't turn out as cute as I pictured it in my head...but I think it did. I used only punches...for the body and wings I used Close to my Heart's new 1-1/4" circle punch. Its head is a 3/8" circle punch and the polka dots are from a hole punch. I then covered them with liquid glass to give them a 3D and shiny effect.

I kept this card very simple, which is unlike me. I always love Lisa Stenz's simple, clean designs, and I was inspired by these cards she made. It was so hard for me not to add any sponging or just more of anything, but I wanted it clean. And I like it :) I'm going to have to do this more often, because sometimes less is more.

I'm going to send this to my sister. She's my very best friend and lives in San Diego ("home" to me), and I just moved to Fresno from LA, so now I'm a 5-hour drive instead of 2. :( Just knowing it's not as easy to drive home makes me miss her—and my niece and nephew—even more. (Although so far I LOVE Fresno.) I think this cute little ladybug will brighten her day when she gets it in the mail :)

Head over to the Heart 2 Heart Challenge blog and check out the other designers' creations...and I hope you'll play along too!
Supplies: Dainty Thoughts stamp set, Buttercup cardstock, Black cardstock, Tulip cardstock, Black ink, liquid glass, black Zig pen 05

6 comments:

Mary said...

I love that the card is clean and simple and not over-done - makes for a great canvas for the super cute ladybug!

Carol Labuski said...

sometimes less IS more! I also have a hard time using 'less' but love what you did! The ladybug is too cute!

Katy said...

Love the simplicity and LOVE the ladybug!!!

roxybonds said...

ADORABLE!!!!

lisascreativecorner said...

Jayma, what a great card! I LOVE it and am honored that something I made inspired you. *Ü*

Melissa Laverty said...

Love your card Jayma. I'm inspired by Lisa all the time but it never comes out as good as this! :)