Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Capitol & All Its Splendor

Have I told you how much I LOVE the Splendor paper that came out this summer from Close to my Heart? Well, it's my all-time favorite paper now...second to Magic Moments (now retired...so sad!). I wanted to use the Splendor paper for this layout, but also wanted to bring out the red in the beautiful flowers in my photos and there is no red in the Splendor paper. So...I random-stamped my own patterned paper for the background—one of my favorite techniques! I used the same bright colors as are in Splendor—Moonstruck, Goldrush, and Topiary, and added some Tulip. Those flowers really pop now!


Now, how 'bout this awesome flower? It's deceivingly EASY to do. Tresa Black did a whole ustream video including this technique, but basically, you freehand-cut different-sized circles, ruffle and ink the edges a bit, and stick them all together. For the leaves, you also freehand cut the shape, then score the lines into it, then sand and ink the edges.
Can I also mention how much I love this Posterboard Alphabet stamp set. Definitely one of my favorites for 2 main reasons: 1) It's easy to cut out. 2) You can stamp onto patterned paper and your paper becomes the alphabet.

I also want to note that I created the base of this layout in about 15 minutes (not counting random-stamping and embellishing). I used the Reflections how-to book, so I chose the layout I wanted to used based on the photos I had chosen, then the cutting guide was done for me. I simply followed the cutting instructions and assembled. Easy! If you don't have any of the scrapbook or cardmaking how-to books from CTMH, I highly recommend one (or all) of them. For samples from each book, click here and scroll down to "how-to books."

Supplies (CTMH):
Splendor level 2 paper pack, Exclusive stamp set from Splendor Workshop on the Go, Posterboard Alphabet stamp set, Felicity stamp set (no longer available), Bigger Brads, Sponge Dauber
Inks: Tulip, Moonstruck, Topiary, Goldrush

No comments: