Monday, August 16, 2010

Quirky, Cutesy, Clean Card + How to Take Perfect Pictures

This week I ran across a great new website...Embellish Magazine. Thanks to Lawn Fawn for posting the link on Twitter and Facebook, and for sponsoring their color challenge this week!

I love this color combo. I used my CTMH supplies and inks in Twilight, Sorbet, Bamboo, and Chocolate. Here's the card I came up with.


To make the flower I followed Tresa Black's uStream tutorial. The best part is that the circles are cut freehand! No circle cutters, punches, cricut, or any other fancy supplies. The "un-perfectness" is what gives it the quirky and shabby chic look I was going for. The leaves are cut freehand as well, then I just stuck them on my paper cutter to emboss the veins. I sponged every edge of paper as well as on top of the leaves so they'd pop. To ruffle the ribbon I used mini glue dots. I really don't like this technique, but it's the only way I could think of to get the effect I wanted...I am open to any ideas! I would have loved to sew it, but I'm a terrible seamstress and my sewing machine is broken.

Oh, and today I ran across a bit of brilliance while I was blog surfing. Have you been wondering how some people get the most perfect pictures of their cards? Well, a lot of them use light boxes. I have wanted a light box forever but didn't want to buy one and didn't know how to make one. Well that has changed. Check out Tracey Mason's AWESOME tutorial to make one for FREE! That's right...FREE...PLUS it takes less than half an hour! Let me tell you, if I weren't lying flat on the floor with my back thrown out I'd be making mine right now. You can bet I'll be making mine as soon as I'm physically able, and I too will have awesome photos :)

6 comments:

Amy Callaway said...

This is so pretty! I love the color combo.

Monika Reeck said...

Love your handmade flower so adorable and great distressing too...lovely using the color combo challenge...Great card...I just joining the embellish color challenge too and my card is number 28, would you mind to see my Blog?Many thanks before :)

Savitri said...

Very cute!! Love your flower!

dawsondesigns said...

I hope your back is much better now! I am so happy I get your blog delivered to my email because they are so helpful with great tips and ideas. Thanks for another great blog post that I will refer back to again. :D I love the card, by the way! I have a light box for tracing, but will check out the tutorial to see how I can take better pictures of my cards. Thank you!

Charlene Austin said...

SOOOO CUTE!! The unperfectness is absolutely perfect!!

We are so happy that you found the Embellish blog and we'd love for you to visit and participate again. Every 2 week's we will have a new sponsor and colour challenge for you!!

Traveling Mama said...

Thanks so much for playing along with us! I hope your back is feeling better! Love your sweet card! Hugs from Denmark!