Friday, January 21, 2011

Tile Coasters with CTMH Veranda Paper

I made a lot of gifts this past Christmas and still have more to share with you. This is a coaster set I made for my sister-in-law, who just moved into a new apartment. I know she loves the Veranda paper pack from Close to my Heart, and her apartment is decorated in blues, greens, and brown...how perfect!
I began with very inexpensive tiles from Home Depot. I don't think they were more than 50 cents each. However, the more you spend the better tile you'll get. These tiles were unfinished around the edges so I had to wrap them with ribbon. If you spend a little more you won't have to take that extra step...but I think the ribbon looks nice and will help with condensation.

You can kind of tell from the photo below that the brown/copper paper between the patterned papers is shimmery. It's from a shimmery paper pack I got at Michael's.
Here are the steps I took to make the coasters:
  1. Cut all papers to size and adhere to each other (not on tile yet). Make sure to use plenty of adhesive.
  2. Cover tile with Mod Podge (or other sealant) and adhere paper, as well as rhinestones, if you choose to use them.
  3. Cover paper with Mod Podge. It will look milky at first, but will dry clear. Don't worry, the rhinestones will become shiny again once the Mod Podge dries.
  4. Do at least 3 coats to be sure your coaster is good and sealed. Let the Mod Podge dry between coats.
  5. Let the coasters dry several hours, or overnight is even better.
  6. Adhere ribbon around edges with a hot glue gun. (I found that the hot glue dried pretty quickly, so I did about 2" at a time.)
  7. Add felt "feet" so the coasters don't scratch any tables (see below).
Thanks for visiting my blog...I hope you were inspired!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Yes, very inspired!! They're beautiful! Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

QC Kelsey said...

Wow! They are so pretty. This might be something I'll have to give a try ...