Friday, March 25, 2011

Tutorial: Twisted Fabric Flower Rosettes + Learning to Sew an iPad Sleeve

Last week I learned how to sew, starting with a pillow, and I had so much that I was dreaming up new projects to practice on. My hubby and I just got an iPad last weekend, so I thought I'd be adventurous and take a stab at a sleeve for it. Looks pretty good when it's all closed up!

The flower rosettes are my favorite part. I made a video tutorial to show you how I make them, which is at the end of this post. And they don't have to be used just on fabric...you can use them on your cards and scrapbook pages as well! It would add a nice texture contrast to the paper.
But when you start looking more closely, you can see my beginner sewing skills...
I didn't plan correctly to hide the seams on the underside of the flap.
But that's ok, I LOVE it and am darn proud of my first attempt. It was a difficult project for a beginner :)

BUT, being the perfectionist that I am, I couldn't just stop there. I only have one iPad, so I had to think of other people I could practice on. This next attempt is now Mandy's iPad sleeve. I made hers a little bigger because she already has a silicone case on it. This sleeve matches her blog and craft room perfectly!

I added some tulle which adds a really fun texture.
And some pearls.
And I even figured out how to hide the seams on the flap!
But now that all edges are hidden, the flap is wider than the body! I still have some perfecting to do.
But one thing I got right are the fabric flowers. Here's the video tutorial I made to show you how to make the flower rosettes you see on my ipad cases...



Thanks for reading, have a wonderful weekend!

1 comment:

Michelle Jones said...

Hi Jayma!
I found your blog through fancy Melissa's blog. I love your rosettes. Thanks so much for taking the time to video your instructions, that was so helpful. I'm heading to JoAnn's tomorrow to get some fabric and try it myself. Thanks for the inspiration!
:) Michelle Jones