Tuesday, April 12, 2011

DIY Lampshade Redo

I've been SUPER into this green color lately and I have been on the hunt for some bedside lamps for the last couple of months. I happened to find these cute little guys on sale at Target for $16 each. They are simpler than I wanted, but the right size. So I thought I could jazz them up a little bit.
I am going to be redoing our bedroom in greens and white (with pops of color), and I bought this white ric rac with silver flecks in it at Hobby Lobby. I had no purpose in mind, I just liked it. Sometimes I'm so glad I get stuff "just because," because it works perfectly here.

Here's the lamp after one row of ric rac...I simply hot glued it on. I started measuring as I glued to make sure it was even all the way around, but it actually was easier just to eyeball it. It looks nice and clean with just one row of ric rac, but I think it needed one more row. (My cat likes to keep me company while I craft.)
Two rows of ric rac and some fabric flowers and...viola! You have a cute little lampshade to add some color to your nightstand! My nightstand and room aren't too big, so this size lamp works well. But I could always add the shade to a larger base as my situation changes.
The white flower fabric was from a fat quarter, and the coral flowers were from a polyester tank top I never wear. These flowers are so cheap because you can use fabric scraps you have lying around or old clothes you never wear! Plus they're really easy to make.

Here's a video I made a little while back that shows you how to make the flower rosettes.



I'm linking up to:
Tatertots & Jello
Making the World Cuter
Run With Glitter
Between Naps on the Porch
Just Something I Whipped Up
Sumo's Sweet Stuff
The DIY Showoff
Super Stinky Boys
Mad in Crafts
C.R.A.F.T.
Sew Can Do
Hope Studios
Tip Junkie
Today's Creative Blog
All Thingz Related
Sugar Bee Crafts
New Nostalgia
Polka Dots on Parade
Living Craftily Ever After

(This is my first time linking...sorry I didn't grab buttons, I will next time!) :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great Lamp redo!

I redid a lamp recently too!

http://miscellaneousme.wordpress.com/2011/03/29/lamp-shade-re-do/

Found your blog on the Running with Glitter Link-up!

Thanks for sharing!

Cara

http://miscellaneousme.wordpress.com

Nicole said...

Snazzy! & great idea.

Elle The Heiress said...

That is a lovely lamp! I also really enjoyed your video, and that you said "wonky" in it. =)

Kelly @livingcraftilyeverafter said...

This is so cute! I love the colors!!!

Found you through TCB!

Kelly

PS- I am hosting a giveaway on my nblog for free hair accessories and would love for oyu to come by and enter!

http://livingcraftilyeverafter.blogspot.com/2011/04/200-followers-and-giveaway.html

Kelly @livingcraftilyeverafter said...

Umm... apparently I was typing way too fast! LOL! Sorry for all the typos :)


Kelly

WhoWhatLogos said...

Great work...love this!

Melanie said...

What a great jazz up! I'd love for you to come link this up at my Tuesday Time Out Linky Party! The link is below!
Smiles,
Melanie
Reasons To Skip The Housework
Tuesday Time Out Link Up Party

Jaime said...

So great! I love ric rac! I'd love for you to link up to Wow Me Wednesday!

http://polkadotsonparade.blogspot.com/2011/04/wow-me-wednesday-5.html

D and G Stories said...

Love this! The flowers are such a cute touch. Going to try this for my daughters nursery!

Ginger said...

Those are so cute! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

Jaime said...

I featured you on Toast of Tuesday!! Come grab a button!

http://polkadotsonparade.blogspot.com/2011/04/toast-of-tuesday_19.html