Saturday, June 25, 2011

Framed Mirror Redo With Fabric Rosettes

Last month I shared this post with you where I had spray-painted a bunch of old frames and created a fun feature wall in my craft room. This mirror is one of the items I spray-painted and added to the wall. It's my favorite part of the wall...I just love these colors and the fun fabric flower rosettes!

So I put together a little tutorial on how I created this frame.


I started with this frame that has lived well past it's prime in my house. I was very over this silvery-gold frame. I first covered the mirror part with a few layers of butcher paper and adhered with painter's tape. If you are painting a frame where the center comes out, by all means, just take the center glass/mirror out. I didn't want to have to deal with ripping open the back of my frame and then putting it back together when I was done.


I chose my favorite color of green at the moment to spray all my frames. I primed it first, then put 2-3 layers of spray paint on the frame, letting it dry between each layer.


Next, gather all the old t-shirts and scraps of fabric in your house that are in the colors you want to use for your rosettes. I used several different types of material, which gives the frame some fun textures. I adhered my rosettes with hot glue.


Here's a video I made on how to make these rosettes...





"Hey everybody, come see how good I look!"

And the finished frame!

Together with its friends on my wall :)



The best part of this project is that it only cost me a can of spray paint, which went much farther than this one frame! It was after I finished this frame that I went crazy and spray painted every old frame I could find!

I would like a larger collage wall, but since we may be moving soon I didn't want to put too many holes in the wall! So this is it for now. But just wait until after we move...you may see a similar (expanded) project on my blog again! (Hopefully with better pictures.)

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: