Wednesday, August 24, 2011

5 No-Sew Handmade Fabric Flower Accessories

My sister loves big jewelry, and looks great in it. So for her birthday I wanted to make her one of these statement necklaces I've seen all over Etsy and LOVE.

I have become quite addicted to making fabric flowers. They're so easy and a great way to use up your fabric scraps. I made a video on how to make these statement necklaces...you can view my original post here and my video here!


I couldn't stop at just the necklace. After all, this is my sister, my best friend, we're talking about. I got a little carried away and made her a whole handmade fabric flower wearable ensemble! Complete with a white tank she could wear everything with :) Each of the following flowers has a pin added to the back. You could also turn these into hair clips by adding a clip to the back. I used large safety pins, and added a small felt circle over the pin to hold it on and give it a clean look. (Watch the following video to see what I mean.)

This zebra flower is one of my favorites...I made a video to show you how I made it! See below for the my written instructions...






I started with a 1.5" circle of felt and used 1.5" grosgrain ribbon. Add hot glue in small sections around the edge of the felt, and pleat the ribbon as you work your way around. Once you get back to where you started, move more inside the felt circle. In the center I hand-cut (doesn't need to be perfect) a few circles of tulle, then added a rhinestone on top. Easy peasy!

These next 2 flowers are made the same way, but use different types of fabric for a different look.
The black one is satin that I bought on a 3" roll at Walmart. I cut out lots of circles, starting at about 3", then working my way smaller in about 1/4" increments. To get the flowers to curl, hold the edges over a candle and turn (quickly) to curl the whole edge. In between the satin is lace that I got on a 6" roll at Hobby Lobby (like you can find tulle). I did not use the flame on the lace.

This turquoise flower is made the same way, but I used a silky fabric I found in the remnant bin at Jo-Ann, and did not add any lace. I added a vintage button to the center.

This last pin is a trio of flower rosettes. You can see how I make these fabric rosettes on my Statement Necklace video here.
If you make one of these flower pins I'd love to see it! Post it on my Facebook page!

Thanks for visiting today...happy crafting!

Linking up to Tatertots & Jello!

5 comments:

Elle The Heiress said...

I love your rosettes, they always turn out great! I've read/watched a thousand tutorials, but my flowers always turn out horribly. =(

Trisha Morton said...

Beautiful and I know she'll love it! What a great sister you are!

Mara... said...

These are wonderful flowers!! Thanks for the tutorial. I'm sure your sister loved them!

Lolla said...

I shall be making some of these to put on some [link=http://www.ethicalsoul.com]hand-made cushions[/link]thanks for the inspiration

Jayma Malme said...

Glad I could inspire you!