Saturday, October 1, 2011

Paper-Decoupaged Stone Tile Coasters

Since I just moved, I got to redecorate my house. I wanted to make some coasters that tied all the colors of my living room together...what better way to do that than with paper?!

I used stone tiles from Home Depot...they came in a pack of 9 for around $5 (I forget exactly how much). I have also used the cheapo 16 cent tiles but they don't have the pretty stone detail on the sides like these do :) I cut the paper about 1/4" smaller than the tile so the stone would create a border.

I used a paint brush to paint Mod Podge onto the tile, then covered it with paper, and coated again with Mod Podge. I used 3 coats to make sure it was good and sealed. Then another finishing coat of Clear Acrylic Sealer spray to make sure it's all sealed well. (You can skip the spray sealer and your coasters will be fine..."sweat" from drinks will make a ring that then disappears once it dries. But the Mod Podge also leaves a little stick behind.)

Once everything is dry, attach some "feet" to the bottom to prevent scratching on your tables. I used felt stickers from Home Depot (less than $2 for a bunch of them). You can also use cork.


To make it even more personalized, you could add photos to the center of your coaster, or use your Cricut to cut out monogram letters.

The blue paper is from CTMH Emporium (retired) and the yellow is from Mayberry. The green and red paper is from Stampin' Up and I believe is retired.

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Christine said...

I love this twist on them! Just wanted to say how fantastic of a crafter and team member you are - I'm so glad you are a part of Practical Scrappers!