Tuesday, November 8, 2011

{Almost} Free Christmas Cards From Gift Tags & CTMH Believe

I've been called a hoarder a time or two (or ten) by my family. I have always saved everything that I thought had another use—I'm sure many of you can relate! (However, after moving three times in three years I have learned to part with much of it.)

Every Christmas my family uses cute gift tags that I just can't bear to throw away. Some are even handmade. So I save the really cute ones and stash them away with my Christmas scrapbooking supplies.

As I continue with my Crafting on a Budget series throughout the month, I decided to finally get the tags out and take a stab at some Christmas cards. I have really been attracted to the "Clean and Simple" (CAS) style lately, which I like for two reasons:
  1. I just love the look—there's not as much going on so it's more focused.
  2. It uses fewer supplies, which is easier on your budget!
Here are three CAS cards I came up with using tags from my stash.

Card #1: This first card uses a reindeer-shaped tag. I adhered him to white cardstock that I ran through my Cuttlebug with the Swiss Dots folder. Then I added a border of CTMH Holiday Red to make him pop. I used just a thin strip of patterned paper from the Believe paper pack which helps anchor the design a bit. Those cute 3D Christmas lights were already part of the tag!


 
CTMH Kraft cardstock comes in 12" x 12" sheets. To get the most out of your cardstock for your card base, cut your cards at 5-1/2" x 4" instead of 4-1/4". That way you'll get 3 card bases out of one sheet of cardstock. (Cut your card base at 4" x 11" and fold in half so the fold of the card is at the top.)

Card #2: This cute little house tag was screaming "snow scene!" I used White Daisy pigment ink and a snowflake from the Snowflakes stamp set (which also coordinates with the Art Philosophy Cricut cartridge). To add extra snow on the ground I ran some white cardstock through the Cuttlebug again with the Swiss Dots embossing folder. Then I tore it to resemble hills. It's hard to tell in the picture, but I also added some glitter gel to the hills for some added sparkle.

You could even take the above card a step further and add some rhinestones to the snowflake centers. I added a rhinestone to the center of the roof to cover the hole from the tag.
Card #3: I love using nontraditional colors for Christmas cards, and this card plays on that. I used Hollyhock cardstock to back the tag, then used 3D foam squares to mount it onto the star paper from Believe. I stamped the long presents stamp from Holiday Trinkets (retired) to the thin strip of hollyhock cardstock for some added interest and to play on the gifts under the tree.
Since this card base was so white I inked the edges of the papers in hollyhock ink.

Budget Breakdown
= Oodles of Christmas cards!

See this post for budget-friendly advice on where to get white cardstock for your card bases.

Remember you can add the Holiday Wishes stamp set to your order for just $5 this month when you purchase $25 in stamps from Close to my Heart! And you can add the Stamp of the Month for just $5 also when you place a $50 order.

I hope you'll think twice before throwing out your cute gift tags this year...they just might turn into your Christmas cards next year!

My Crafting on a Budget Series is going on all month long! To see previous posts, click here.

Follow Jayma on Twitter: @jaymalew
"Like" Playing with Paper on Facebook

Linking up to Your Whims Wednesday.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

What a great idea! I have Christmas cards each year that I cant throw away either. Was thinking of scraping them each year, but still on my to do list. Thanks for the inspiration!