Saturday, November 5, 2011

Make a No-Sew Ruffled Scarf from a T-shirt

Today's post for my Crafting on a Budget series is one to help in your gift-giving this year. My family knows (and loves) that each year they are going to receive something handmade by me for Christmas. But this year it's especially important for me to make more DIY gifts since I haven't found a job since moving. It seems there are more and more people affected by unemployment, and I hope I can inspire all of you, no matter what your situation, to make something inexpensive, yet special for your friends and family.

I got the idea to make this ruffled t-shirt scarf from the DIY Dish. (Check out their blog...they have great ideas!) How cute is this?! It couldn't be more simple to make!
Supplies:
  • T-shirt (new or used, but wash/dry it if it's new)
  • Paper plate
  • Sharpie or fabric pen
  • Fabric scissors
  • Fabric glue (optional)
Step 1: Lay your t-shirt out flat and, using a paper plate, trace as many circles as you can onto your shirt. (I used a size large, but the bigger shirt you have the more ruffles you'll be able to make, which will make the scarf more full.)
Step 2: Cut out the circles, trying to cut inside the Sharpie line so you don't see the pen on your scarf. Go through both sides of the shirt.

Step 3: Cut one scrap fabric at 1" x 4" and set aside.

Step 4: Cut each circle into a spiral shape, as shown below.  My spiral is about 1.5" wide.
Step 5: Pull the end of each spiral to stretch the jersey material, ruffling it!
(This is where you can learn from my mistake: you want to be sure you've washed/dried a new shirt. I hadn't done that with my first scarf, and since the knit wasn't tight yet, itty bitty pieces of jersey ended up all over my floor when I stretched it. This did not happen with pre-washed shirts.)

Step 6: Once you have all the strips cut and stretched, hold them together evenly and find the center. Tie your 1" x 4" strip around the center of all pieces to hold the scarf together.

Step 6 alternative:  For a longer scarf, you can glue the ends of two strips together with fabric glue, then tie the scarf together over the glued ends (first let it dry). Trim off any excess fabric from the tie.

In my example below, I opted for a longer scarf and glued the ends of 2 strips together. I started with 10 circles, so I have 5 on each side of my scarf.

If you do not have any old t-shirts you can use for this project, crafts stores such as Michael's and Joann often have sales on their t-shirts. I picked some up recently on a 2/$5 sale. Or make sure you're signed up for their emails to receive coupons. Be sure you get the largest size to get more craft bang for your buck! You may also want to check your local thrift stores.

Budget breakdown for 1 scarf
  • 1 t-shirt: $2.50 or less (maybe FREE!)
That's it! You probably already have everything else on-hand. That's less than $3 for a lovely handmade gift that all the ladies on your Christmas list will LOVE!

The best part? It will only take you 20-30 minutes to make.

Don't forget to keep checking back all month long for more money-saving tips during my Crafting on a Budget Series! I am focusing on Christmas but also have some other tricks up my sleeve for scrapbooking, holiday cardmaking, ornaments, and more!

Follow Jayma on Twitter: @jaymalew
"Like" Playing with Paper on Facebook

I'm linking this post up with Tatertots and Jello, Just a Girl and Your Whims Wednesday

4 comments:

Mandy Leahy {CTMH} said...

Love it! I was wondering how you made that when I saw you tweet it. Super cute!

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

no sew?? my kind of project haha. Love how your scarf turned out, looks simple enough but has a great result!!

I'd love for you to link this up to my link party, Your Whims Wednesday! http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/11/your-whims-wednesday-32-and-features.html

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

I featured this on my blog tonight! Thanks so much for linking up to Your Whims Wendesday. Come check it out and grab a featured button! http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/11/your-whims-wednesday-33-and-features.html

jennheffer said...

Oh my gosh Jayma! This is SOOOO darn cute! I absolutely LOVE it!