Thursday, March 22, 2012

Meetup.com Scrapbooking 101 Class Layout: Dog Beach with CTMH Stella and Trinity Alphabet

I moved to Seattle this past summer and for several months had been dying to meet other scrappy ladies in the area. Not only for my Close to my Heart business, but because you crafty gals are my peeps! :) I love being around other crafty ladies...it's so awesome to be around others who you share a passion with! And when you don't have a job or kids...let me tell ya, it's hard to meet people! But since I've been moving around for the past 3 years and am finally settling here for a while, I decided that I'm going to work hard at my Close to my Heart business.

In January I started a Meetup.com group called Seattle Scrapbookers and Cardmakers. Although there's a fee to start a group, I thought it would be worth my while if even I met one new customer. Because as we know, once you fall in love with CTMH you're hooked :)

One of the great things about meetup.com is that they do some of the marketing for you. When you first start, they send an email to all members in the area who may have an interest in your group. In a matter of days I had 24 new members! Wow...24 potential new crafty friends! And I've gained a few since then.

(Don't worry, I'm getting to the artwork...)

When you start a meetup group you can ask questions to members when they join. I ask for a brief introduction and what is their favorite thing to craft. I had lots of people say that they want to learn how to scrapbook!

So, what better way to start out our group than with a "Scrapbooking 101" class? I held it in February and had about 5 people show up, which I think is pretty good for a first meetup! This is the layout I taught them how to make.


I included pre-cut paper and embellishments in a kit. Then I walked them through assembling the layout, how to stamp with the clear stamps, clean the stamps, showed the different types of adhesives, etc. They had a blast! And of course, as always, the products were the star and I got some orders :)

This isn't the easiest layout to create. Some may not use this in a "Scrapbooking 101" class. But I don't believe in starting with the most basic. Anyone interested in scrapbooking (or card making) has some craftiness in them. I know these ladies had the potential...and they proved me right. With a little guidance and technique demonstration, plus a printout of the layout blueprint from one of CTMH's how-to programs, they made their own beautiful layouts and learned so much more than they would have with a very basic layout. You've gotta push if you're going to improve...just like with anything!

One gal even told me she took a scrapbooking class at a big box craft store and they just plopped a few photos on a page and cut a few pieces of paper...it didn't look designed and she didn't learn much. I'm glad I could show her real scrapbooking!

Morals of the story: CTMH makes scrapbooking faster and easier. Teach/learn techniques so even beginner scrappers can create advanced layouts. Join a meetup or other group and meet other crafty ladies! It will feed your soul :)

If you are in the Seattle area and would like to know when I have classes, join my Seattle Scrapbookers and Cardmakers group here >

Happy scrapping!

Products Used:
Stella paper pack, milepost shapes, lagoon mini medley accessories, basic buttons, colonial white waxy flax, clear sparkles, Trinity Alphabet stamp set, You and Me stamp set (retired)

7 comments:

Connie Mercer said...

I came from linkedin_I saw your post. Your blog is lovely and love your scrapbooking~ I'm following you would love a follow back. I love what I'm seeing with the CTMH stuff! I have a few of their stamps~

Amy said...

Really cute page. I love it!

Tammy said...

So glad you are getting your business set up in Seattle and are meeting new people! It is hard to move to a new location. Love your layout and congrats!

Vicki Wizniuk said...

I love your layout! Nice to hear you're meeting some crafty peeps. ;)

Gerry van Gent said...

Hi there!
What an awesome blog and truly beautiful work you do! Thank you for sharing!
~Gerry van Gent~

oliveborgnine said...

Paper fasteners are generally the same element as the colorful brads that are applied for scrapbooking. Paint them with affordable acrylic paints to synchronize with the your layouts.

scrapbook paper

Dawn said...

Beautiful page! The colors looks wonderful together.