Saturday, October 27, 2012

My Favorite {CTMH} Things Blog Hop: Christmas Style

Hello! Welcome to my fabulous Playing with Paper team's monthly My Favorite {CTMH} Things Blog Hop. You may have come from Amy's blog, or you can begin right here. This month our theme is Christmas projects! I am SO excited to finally reveal this project I worked on all last week.

I was incredibly inspired by Lalia's Advent calendar when she shared hers last month and knew as soon as I saw it that I would make one similar. Here's what I came up with...

I am featuring Close to my Heart's My Creations Cubby for this project. I saw similar Advent Calendars last year that I loved, but the blank cubbies alone were upwards of $30. Our cubby is only $16.99 and made of super heavy duty chipboard! The boxes that fit inside were cut with the Artiste Cricut collection, and all the little decorations on the boxes were cut from both Artiste and Art Philosophy

Lalia was kind enough to share her brilliant Cricut Craft Room file for the boxes, which got me started on a great note. She flipped the boxes to get 2 on a page plus enough usable space in the middle to also cut a swing card (from Artiste) or a 5.5" rectangle, sized perfectly for a regular card. I love saving paper!

Her CCR file launched me into full-fledged Cricut Craft Room training last weekend. I spent an entire day learning it, and it's fantastic! (You can watch an intro video here and learn more here.) I definitely recommend using it if you are able to connect your Cricut to your computer. It makes cutting a bunch of images super easy without wasting paper. You can flip, rotate, weld, skew, layer, and all kinds of stuff in CCR. I cut all of the boxes from Lalia's CCR file (using Artiste), then created a CCR file for all the embellishments, making each color a new "layer" within the file.

I welded circles together to make my snowmen.

One of my favorite things are these mittens. I used our new must-have silver shimmer trim (idea from Lalia) and joined them with some cranberry baker's twine.

I also love the holly and red sparkle berries (credit, again, given to Lalia). I folded them in half lengthwise for some dimension.

Speaking of sparkle...how 'bout those numbers! Can you say BLING?! I really wanted silver glitter letters. I pondered several ways to do it, and came up with a method that worked extremely well. The numbers were cut with the Artiste Cricut cartridge, then adhered to the boxes with a glue pen. Then once they were all adhered, I went over them with a thin layer of silver glitz glitter gel. By adding glitter after the letters were adhered I didn't have to worry about letting them dry or about the cardstock curling once it did dry. Worked like a charm! The only thing I would do differently is make the big number 1/4" smaller so they're not so prominent. But I plan to make a few more as gifts so I'll change it next time :)

Moving right along...here's a close-up of the paper bow. I love this bow from the Artiste collection. I added a fabulous bling gem from the Boutique Assortment. I can't get enough of these little gems!

Oh, and I should point out the background stamping! (Can you tell I'm into details?) Before assembling the boxes, I stamped the fronts of the Sky blue and Olive green box flats with Sky and Olive ink with the music notes stamp from Universal Backgrounds (one of my all-time favorites!) I am such a sucker for background stamps. I think they add such interest, texture, and depth to projects.

Now here's a look at one of the boxes pulled out of the cubby. It's nearly 3 inches...big enough for a piece of candy (or two) for each kid (and adult) in your house!

And finally, a view from above. I wrapped some ribbon (retired from Stampin' Up) around the whole thing and tied a bow on top for a finished look.

And here's the finished product again...

I hope you enjoyed it and are inspired by not only the Cubby, but how much you can do with our Artiste and Art Philsophy cartridges. And this is just Christmas...there's TONS more on each cartridge!!

Now hop on over to see what IAN has made for you! Thanks for stopping by!

If you like what you see, be sure to "like" my Facebook page and follow my blog :)


Purchase This Workshop
I'm having a workshop for this next week. If you're in the Seattle area, come join us on Nov. 1. If you'd like to "join" long-distance, I can mail you the kit. This is a great option if you don't have the Art Philosophy or Artiste Cricut cartridges. (Use the Paypal Button below.)

The workshop cost is $40 and includes the cubby, all pre-cut papers and embellishments/accessories needed, glitz glitter, Cricut Craft Room file & list of suggested Bible Verses to put inside each cubby, and a full-color photo with instructions. Add $10 for shipping*. The cubby is bigger than it looks! It measures 14" x 14" x 2-3/4". The kit will not include the stamps or inks, but you can purchase them from my website. You'll also need adhesive of your choice, a glue pen for the numbers, and I suggest a bone folder for assembling the boxes. (Allow up to a week for your kit to ship.)

Want just the Cricut Craft Room file? If you already have these cartridges and would like to make this kit on your own, purchase your supplies from my website and I'll email you my Cricut Craft Room file as a BONUS!  When you check out, be sure to click "join" next to my gathering at the top of my page to join my current online party! This will help me continue to offer giveaways on my blog :)

*Shipping to 48 US states is $10. Everyone else please email me for a quote: jaymalew [at] gmail [dot] com.

I'm linking this post to Heart 2 Heart's Christmas challenge

12 comments:

Norhalma said...

I bet this looks so much better in person..even then, I just have to say how beautiful it is and that you are so creative for tweaking the Workshop on The GO Kit :)

Lalia said...

I love it!!! I love your bow on 23 and your ornament on #7. I may have to do some adjusting to mine! I hope your workshop goes well! People are going to love it!

I thought I'd mention that the free file for just the boxes (and swing card) is on another post on my blog: http://craftylalia.blogspot.com/2012/10/cricut-craft-room-my-newest-favorite.html

Jayma Malme said...

Thanks, Norhalma! Yes, it's so much prettier in person :-)

Jayma Malme said...

Thanks, Lalia! I had great inspiration :-) I thought I did link to the CCR post but I'll double check.

Kigz said...

Soooo worth the wait! It turned out absolutely gorgeous! The bow is a perfect embellishment for this one too. GREAT job on the peace ornament, and the numbers look fantastic! I am so glad you stuck with the glittering idea! :)

Cropalcoholic!! said...

That looks stunning!!! Perfect for displaying in your own home or gift giving. Thanks for the inspiration!!

~Sharondalyn~

Brittany Fitch said...

I would really love to make one of these to use every Christmas for my son! I am partial to snowmen, so though I love the bows I really like your snowmen with their embellishments!

Amy said...

This is so so so adorable I love how it turned out. It was totally worth the wait. :)

Ian said...

You did such an amazing job on this, Jayma! I love this WOTG but wish I had others in the house besides myself so that it would make it more fun. Some day...perhaps I should buy it now so when someday comes I'll have it ready to make. Hmmm... :)

Jennifer Payami said...

Jayma, Jayma, Jayma - This is FANTASTIC!

canadian_liner said...

This is fantastic! Lots of work, both in the Craft-room training and the execution (LOVE all the details and your whole plan of cascading colours). But well worth it. Thanks for sharing it at H2H.

Lalia H. said...

I'm CASEing your Advent for my Christmas in July workshop. As I'm reading your post you wrote, "What I really wanted was glitter numbers." LOL now we have glitter paper. Wouldn't that be fun now--and so much easier?