Saturday, March 16, 2013

Go Cougs! Home Decor Auction Item

My hubby works for Washington State University's Athletic department, and his job specifically is fundraising. Last month he put on 2 big events to raise money for Cougar athletics, called A Night With Cougar Football. One was in Portland, and one here in Seattle.

These are big events with coaches, the Athletic Director, and lots of Cougs, and raise a lot of money for the department. This is super important because this money pays for student-athlete scholarships and athletic projects like a new stadium addition (which was completed last year), and currently they're working on a new Football Operations building connected to the stadium.

So, part of each event is an auction. I didn't have a mountain chalet or timeshare to donate, so I donated what I do best...something paper crafted :)

I kept is pretty simple so that it could be decoration for a male or female. I could totally see this dressing up an office to show some Coug pride!


This project was seriously simple to make. I bought a 2x4 at Home Depot and had them cut it at various lengths. Then I painted each block with white acrylic paint. (I recommend FolkArt brand...it goes on thick. Some of the cheaper brands are too runny and you need more coats.)

Next I Mod Podged the Cougar paper onto the fronts. I found the Coug paper at Craft Warehouse the last time I was in Vancouver (I love that place). The chipboard letters were painted with a black acrylic paint dabber and adhered with glue dots.

To add just a little flair, I tied some gray baker's twine around a few of the letters, and hot glued a Slate ribbon knot onto the first block.


This project cost me less than $5 and took less than 2 hours. But it brought in $50 in the silent auction! Hey, every little bit helps!!


Here is Martin Stadium lookin' good!!! That whole top part was added last year with suites, concessions, and so much more. It's seriously awesome!
Source

This is the proposed Football Operations building, which would be located adjacent to the end zone that is to the right of the above picture. Pretty sweet, right?!

But there is still more money that needs to be raised to even start this project. If you are a Coug, know a Coug, or just like the Cougs, you should consider becoming a member of the Cougar Athletic Fund like me, and you can help this project along! Details HERE.



Thanks for visiting, and GO COUGS!!!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

These look great! Go Cougs! Woohoo!

Kigz said...

Great idea, Jayma! I just might need to CASE it for some future auctions...Nice job plugging for the hubs! What a fun job! :)