Monday, April 8, 2013

Raindrops Keep Falling

This week's challenge at Heart 2 Heart couldn't hit more close to home. The rain in Seattle is never-ending.

Last weekend we had an AMAZING, sunny, warm Easter weekend. Upper 60s, sunny, not a cloud in the sky. It actually felt like Spring.

Then this week...BAM...the rain and gloom was back. Such a tease!

So for my card this week I created a representation of how I feel here in the Emerald City. With a Space Needle to boot! (For local peeps...I got that cool stamp at Impress Stamps.) Notice the sun is peeking in the corner, but the clouds are covering it. So, so sad :( I was inspired by this card that I originally saw on Pinterest for the raindrop buttons.
 

I used the super-cute April Stamp of the Month, My Sunshine (only $5 with a $50 purchase), and paired it with the Artiste Cricut cartridge. This stamp set has several shapes that coordinate with Artiste, including the sun. I also cut out the clouds with it.

I inked 2 of the clouds with Crystal Blue and then Slate, and one of the clouds with Twilight and then slate, to give that sort of gloomy look.

To make sure the raindrop lines were straight, I lined up a ruler and used my thin-tipped ZIG black pen, which I normally use for scrapbook journaling. All of the buttons come from our fabulous Blue button assortment. I seriously LOVE our buttons...you get SO many in really cool designs for just $5.95. Have you been button shopping at the craft store? Cool buttons are so expensive!!


See that sparkly grass? One nice thing about lots of rain is that everything is very green. So I took a strip of silver shimmer trim and colored it with a Topiary alcohol marker. Our new alcohol markers work great for coloring all sorts of things!

Then I took my Martha Stewart fringe scissors and cut blades of grass along the top half of the glitter strip. The best part of the shimmer trim is that it's self-adhesive! LOVE it!!! So I was just careful when I adhered it to the card and carefully peeled back some of the "blades" of grass for dimension.

Speaking of dimension, I also put the smallest cloud and center of the sun on 3D foam for extra dimension.

The blue background paper is from the new Surf's Up paper pack, and the base of the card is on CTMH Slate for the gloomy look. Don't want to waste your pretty patterned paper for a thin border? See my paper-saving tip HERE.

FREE Shipping + No Tax in April!

Don't forget, this month is my FREE SHIPPING and NO TAX sale!!! I'll pay your sales tax AND shipping on all CTMH orders over $50. See details >

And with your $50 purchase, you can get the Stamp of the Month for just $5 more! (Or buy it on its own for $17.95.) What a deal! Here's what it looks like. Shop now >

Now it's your turn to play along at Heart 2 Heart Challenges this week. Let's see what kind of rainy creation you can come up with. You have until the end of April to link up.

4 comments:

Katy said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your card, Jayma!!! The buttons as raindrops...genius!!!

Lalia H. said...

It's super cute!!! Love your clouds. I'm glad you posted the color because I probably would have asked. ;-)

Wendy Coffman said...

I love everything about this card - gorgeous!

Kigz said...

Love, love, love! Well, one other good thing about the rain--it inspired your gorgeous card, Jayma! :) Sparkling green grass is simply brilliant. Did you leave the backing on the fringed part? The button raindrops are so stinkin' cute, and I love your layered clouds and sun...stay tuned for a cloudless sky coming soon to a blog near you! ;)