Friday, April 12, 2013

Winning Bridal Shower Invitation - Lavender, Gray & Lace

Hello!
Not too long ago I shared with you THIS bridal shower invitation using CTMH products. However, the lavender color that CTMH has just didn't quite match the bride's colors. And the Cricut-cut doily didn't have the same vintage feel as a real lacy doily.

So here it is, the final invitation...

I really LOVE this look. My customer saw THIS invitation in my Etsy shop and wanted a different accent color and rhinestone sparkles instead of pearls.

Here are the bridesmaids dresses she needed to match (amazing, right?!).


The only bummer about making the doily invitations? When the bride's colors includes ivory instead of bright white. I have searched far and wide for ivory doilies. They don't exist. I even tried dip-dying my own, but I couldn't get the right color. So, I had to resort to the laborious method I've used in the past...use a sponge dauber with Colonial White pigment ink to change the color. It does take a while, especially when you have dozens to do, but it really is worth it in the end. I just wish there was a better way! (Wilton, please come out with ivory doilies...thank you!)

I ended up using a color called Milled Lavender from Tim Holtz's Distress Collection for the lavender paper. The gray is Gravel from Paper Source. I love to use Paper Source cardstock for the base of invitations for a couple of reasons. 1) You can buy it already cut to size. You pay a little more...but if you have a ton to make it's totally worth it...in time and saves your paper trimmer's blade. 2) Their cardstock is VERY heavy weight...it really makes a difference in a nice invitation. This is, after all, the first look that your guests get of your event! I like Paper Source's envelopes, too...they're very nice quality. (Hey, I think Paper Source should pay me for these plugs!)

If you would like to purchase invitations from me, you can visit my Etsy shop :)

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Beautiful invitation! I can relate to your frustration with the doilies. I am working on invitations for my son's upcoming wedding and have come up empty-handed in my search for something that isn't a bright white doily. Thanks for sharing your tip!